Q + A With Tattify Artist Alex Strangler
Alex Strangler is an LA based tattoo artist. Her kitschy, playful style mixed with an overload of color is what drew us to her work. She’s also sort of a cartoon lover’s tattoo dream. From the Simpsons, to Disney characters she’s done it all. Regardless of the content, Alex’s tattoos just scream, “FUN!” You can shop her collection here, and read up on her work below.
1. What was the first design you ever tattooed?
The first design I ever tattooed was a simple traditional rose on my mentor’s ankle. He was kind enough to let me practice on his skin. I wanted to do it in teal vs red and it actually came out pretty good!
2. Just out of curiosity, can you explain your love for “The Simpsons”?
I think they look great as tattoos. I love the cartoons and the first Simpsons tattoo I did was a My Little Pony/Bart mashup. It was so fun to tattoo and after that everyone wanted to get Simpsons tattoos by me. It makes me so happy to be able to turn them into fun/unique pieces for my clients.
3. Donuts or Ice Cream?
Why not both?
4. You’ve tattooed a lot of people over the years. Do you have a favorite tattoo that you’ve done?
I don’t really have a favorite that I’ve done. I really love tattooing food/snacks, especially the mini ones that I do. Those are really fun. Anything Simpson’s, Beavis & Butthead, Daria, Ren & Stimpy….those are some of my favorite things to tattoo.
5. What are you inspired by?
I’m inspired by my friends a lot. We sit and talk about the craziest ideas and before you know it we are drawing up designs, making them into paintings or tattooing them on people. It’s pretty rad.
6. How did you first get into tattooing?
I feel like I’ve told this story so many times and the long version is so boring, so I’ll keep it short. Girl gets job at tattoo shop as receptionist. Girl likes to draw and is kinda good at it. Girl gets offered apprenticeship after proving herself worthy. The end.
7. You tattooed a baby (with a temporary tattoo of course). How does it feel knowing your work can be applied on anyone, anywhere in the world with these temps? And um how cute was that little cubby leg?
That’s my nephew!! Oh my gosh he is the cutest thing ever and his little legs, I just want to eat them right up!! It’s seriously great. I’ve been told by a lot of people that they love my work, but they could never get tattoos (for whatever reason) so the temporary tattoos are a way for them to have my art on them, but less permanent.
8. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Every time I hear this question I think about that episode of Family Guy when Peter gets asked the same thing at an interview and he’s like “Don’t say doin’ your wife, don’t say doin’ your wife”.
9. What is something you know now, that you wish you knew back then?
That Narwhals are real creatures.