Tyler Spangler is a self taught graphic designer from Southern California. His work is highly visual, super playful and all around fantastic. If I had to wallpaper my house entirely with one artist’s work, I would want it to be Tyler Spangler. For now, I’ll just cover my body in his tattoos and nail wraps. You can shop the collection here, and learn a bit more about The Spangler below.
1. So you’re a Psych grad & Art Center dropout. Just out of curiosity, what lead you to both of those?
I was always fascinated with psychology. I didn’t know if I wanted to do that for my career but I thought it would be amazing to study. After I graduated I became more interested in designing ﬂyers and drawing on my surfboard. That led to me researching graphic design and different art styles which eventually led me to wanting to pursue art school. Once I was there I became pretty disenchanted and ﬁgured I could use the money I was spending on tuition for my own exploration away from school.
2. It seems like you use all the colors all the time. Do you have a favorite?
I love experimenting with color. I am always drawn to anything with really bright colors. My favorite colors are painters tape blue, peach, and soft pink. Things are just so boring without color!
3. If you had to choose one piece you’ve done that sort of shows what the inside of your mind looks like, which one would it be and why?
Probably all of my crazy condensed collages because my mind is always racing.
4. How does it feel wearing your work as tattoos? What about nail wraps?
I am wearing them right now and I can’t wait to go in public and wait for people to stare, haha. My wife is putting the nail wraps on and they look amazing. Its really cool seeing my work in the real environment.
5. Where did you grow up? Did your hometown have an effect on your style?
I grew up in southern California. I think the beach had the biggest inﬂuence on my style. It is ﬁlled with super vibrant colors and ﬂashy styles.
6. What bands are you listening to at the moment?
Electric Wizard, always.
7. You do textile design as well. What’s the coolest thing your patterns have ever been on?
Probably a pair of Volcom boardshorts. They named them, The Spangler!
8. You’re ordering a burger. What’s on it?
Medium, cheese, grilled onions, and spicy mustard. If I am feeling brave I will get a burger with bbq sauce, bacon, and onion rings.
9. In a world that’s totally backwards, let’s say your job wasn’t in art. What would you be doing instead?
Probably something with video games. I love being on my computer and playing video games. I love surﬁng but I don’t think it would be good to mix that with work because it is what I use to relax.
10. What are your hobbies?
Surﬁng, cooking, and video games.
11. Who inspires you?
I always get inspired the most by music. So I guess I would just say Kurt Cobain, Jus Oborn, and a handful of other musicians.