Most fifteen year olds are busy with school, sports and extracurricular activities. Fifteen year old Emma Gibson somehow finds the time to draw almost every day on top of everything else going on in her life. One day while browsing images on Instagram we found the account Whatever Transparentt and just knew we HAD to do a tattoo collection with Emma. These tats are totally pastel perfect and you can shop them here.
1. Transparent Overlays: how did you get started doing this type of art?
I got started on transparents and overlays because I’d seen them all over Instagram and Tumblr- I loved the look of them! They were cute and sassy and I wanted to learn how to make them. From there it was basically me just experimenting and practising- and when I say that I mean hours and hours all up of practicing my skills to learn to draw with my fingers on an ipad. Trust me, I have a callus on the end of my finger from it… Oops.
2. Walk us through the process of creating a piece. What are the steps that you take?
The majority of my pieces start with my drawing canvas blank on my ipad. From there, I choose the right brush etc and begin to draw. It can take me anywhere from a few minutes to hours depending on what I’m drawing. This process usually involves a basic outline, then erasing errors, cleaning lines up and then adding detail and colour.
3. If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
I would love to be able to fly. I always see movies of people flying or stuff like that and I think it would be the most amazing way to experience the world.
4. Where is your favorite place to be?
Anywhere that is artistic or carries good vibes- the beach, in the woods at the back of my house, my school art room, libraries.
5. You can now wear your artwork as tattoos! How does it feel?
I love it! Honestly when I first put them on I was so surprised- the colour and detail came out amazing and the look awesome. I’ll definitely be getting some of my transparents tattooed for real soon.
6. Pizza is obviously your favorite food, right? What’s your favorite kind??
Even though pizzas come with basically anything- my favourite is cheese pizza. It just tastes so good!! Although, there’s this new type of pizza at pizza hut here in Australia that has a pie in it’s crust… I think that would be pretty amazing too.
7. What song is on a constant repeat recently?
Hmm… I don’t have any song that’s on repeat, but at the moment I’m going through a serious fetus band stage- think early my chemical romance, greenday, blink 182 and panic! at the disco.
8. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I see myself hopefully at uni, maybe studying graphic design. I really would love to take that as a career path because it has so many elements that I enjoy doing.
9. You’re a young, up and coming artist. How has the journey been for you? Have you encountered any obstacles?
It certainly hasn’t been an easy journey, or a dull one. But it has surprised me along the way the opportunities I’ve been given because of what I do- being featured in a magazine, having my designs on shirts, deigning a shoe range. All of this I never thought would be possible.
10. You have a fashion blog where you post OOTDs and inspiration. Have you found that fashion translates into your artwork?
Sometimes I guess- fashion is another form of art so it’s always going to relate slightly into what I do. I had fun designing a shoe range for Y.R.U which is soon to be released, and I used my art in creating those, which was heaps fun.
11. What current trend are you obsessed with at the moment?
Boyfriend jeans. I will literally not wear jeans that don’t have rips in them, and boyfriend jeans are the perfect ripped, lazy style that I love! Plus they’re majorly comfy.