Hatsuki Furutani is a nail artist based out of Tokyo. We were drawn to the interesting patterns and textures of her work. Lucky for us, she liked our style too and was down to do a collaboration! You can view the full collection here. Have a read through of the Q + A below to get a glance into the life and mind of Hatsuki Furutani.
1. How did you get started in the nail industry?
Hired as a nail tech in a large salon in Tokyo.
2. What do you daydream about when you are working?
State of nothingness!
3. When did you know you were going to be an artist?
When I went on to the faculty of oil painting in the university.
4. Where do you get your inspiration from?
Clients want me to show them how they look from my view. So, I get my inspiration from the conversation with clients or, I may just get inspiration when I select the first color and/or while I paint. As I progress the design, the more inspiration strikes. It is an unpredictable improvisation.
5. What music are you listening to? Which books are on your bedside table?
Opera. The Master and Margarita.
6. What’s your favorite design you’ve painted so far?
Everything is my child.
7. Any advice for people who want to get into nail art?
Do every steps very carefully. Do not be getting lazy.
8. What did you want to be growing up?
Synchronized swimmer, stewardess, teacher and manicurist.
9. How is it seeing your designs as nail wraps vs. nail polish?
Pret-a-porter vs haute couture.
10. Do you do your own nails? Or do you get other people to do it
11. If you could be any nail color, what color would you be and why?
Transparent. It is quite similar to my personality.
12. What’s your favorite nail trend at the moment?
3D nails like agar jelly.